Sunday 12 May 2013

From 2G to 3G

Phones: The ‘Phone’, ever since its launch in the 1870’s by Alexander Graham Bell, has undergone several changes. These days it has become a very important part of life for us. One of the important products of ICT are ‘Phones’.


I got my first phone when I was 16. It was a 2G network phone. Although it was a colour phone with internet access and many other facilities, I still felt like something was missing. Every time I used my phone to access the internet, I would click on the link, stare at it for at least 5 minutes and wait until the link opened. Downloading was an extremely painful process as the internet speed was very slow and usually I would avoid doing it.

Then finally, along came a new dimension to my life with a new smart phone with - 3G network connection. Now surfing the internet and downloading has become a very fast and quick process.  These days I am completely hooked on to my phone. Whenever I get even a minute’s break I use my phone, that's how crazy my addiction to it is. What was once dull and slow has now become fast and happening.  Applications like Angry Birds, Temple Run, Google maps, Voice talks, Fruit slice, etc., are all available on it and much more. The process of clicking on the link and waiting for it to open has now turned into clicking, downloading and using immediately. It has changed my notion of using a phone completely.  

Phones as an ICT product has actually become very essential especially because of the 3G network today. 2G is fast, but 3G is faster. Such a quick and growing development is certainly reducing the so called "digital divide", in one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment