Sunday 27 January 2013

Enslaved.


Are You?

The English Dictionary defines the word Enslavement as a synonym of addiction. In simpler terms addiction means a persistent, compulsive dependence on behaviour or a substance. Unlike the olden days, humans are no longer enslaves of the other humans or the elite class. Trends have changed where enslavement to others is taken over by enslavement to gadgets. In fact the addiction to gadgets is to such an extent that it has been compared to addiction of drugs. Withdrawal symptoms experienced by people deprived of gadgets and technology is compared to those felt by drug addicts or smokers going “cold turkey.”

With the advancement in technology there are umpteen numbers of gadgets available in the market.  You name it and they are there. Be it latest models of phones, laptops, wrist watches, vehicles, cameras, play stations, I pads, I pods etc… the list is endless. ‘Gadgaholism’ is a term described to such addicts. One can get addicted to the gadgets due to the various features they come with. Technologies in these gadgets are so advanced that they have made working easy and everything is just a click away. Today, we have everything we need to make our life simpler. To travel one has all kinds of vehicles from cycles to luxury cars that cover’s distances in half the time.

“I am addicted to my car a bit too much and this is due to the comfort it provides plus I can charge my phone, listen to music while travelling to my destination at the same time,” says Nikhil Arora a Visual Developer. Aakanksha Chawla an analyst in Deloitte says, “I don’t think I can stay away from my laptop for a day as I am constantly checking my mails or doing something on it.” “I am addicted to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as it helps me with my work and its HD screen gives a terrific experience to videos, games and reading. Its improved stylus and S Note app aids productivity,” says Mayur a Software Engineer.

People these days spend more time with their gadgets than with others. In short gadgets have actually replaced human beings. “Even when one decides to meet their friends, they are seen engrossed in their phones rather than spending time with others,” says Mitika Vazir an Interior Designer. If this is the impact of gadgets in the 20th century then we wonder what follows next.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment